I'd been teaching the basic skill of baking to my sisters for over a month already. Last weekend was our last shot for this trip, so I decided to teach them 4 different things that they be will baking regularly. Toffee cake, sticky bun, white chocolate cheesecake and white chocolate macadamia cookies were their choices.
We'd been baking a lot of things, for example, dark chocolate tangerine mousse cake, cream puff, schertorte, butter bread, banana muffin, apple pie, creme brulee, flan, pandan butter cake, orange chiffon, chocolate chiffon etc. I just didn't have time to take any photos or update my blog.
There're still many things that I want to teach them, but they need more experience and time to learn more about the basic before taking to the next step. I don't want to rush or confuse them. I'm sure that I did cover 75% of basic skill. This should be enough for now. Check out the recipe for toffee cake here.
Here's the recipe for sticky bun.
For the bread:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbs. milk powder
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 ts. salt
- 1 1/2 ts. instant yeast
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1/4 cup shortening
For the filling:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cashew nut, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs. whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease the muffin molds.
2. Sift bread flour, all purpose flour and milk powder together in a mixer bowl. Mix in instant yeast.
3. Whisk eggs, milk, sugar and salt together in a bowl.
4. Add egg mixture into dry mixture in addition, mix until they come together.
5. Add butter and shortening, mix until the dough comes to a ball.
6. Take it out and roll into a ball, then cover with plastic and rest on a greased pan for 15 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the table with some flour, de-gas the dough and cut in half.
8. Roll each ones into 10"x12", brush the surface with melted salted-butter.
9. Mix all ingredients for the filling together, then sprinkle over the dough.
10. Roll into a log and cut into 2" width.
11. Place into the molds, cover with plastic and let proof until double in size.
12. Brush with egg wash and bake for 12-15 minutes.
13. After they're done, brush the top with melted salted-butter immediatly.