Last week, I had a chance to make my own naan. It turned out more like a chewy bread than the thin naan I like. I was a bit disappointed, but Mark liked it though.
yield 4 portions
- 1/3 cup milk, luck warm
- 1 ts. active dry yeast
- 1/2 tb. sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tb. olive oil
- 1/4 ts. salt
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped and saute
- 1 tb. fresh rosemary
1. Activate yeast with milk for 5 minutes.
2. add 1/3 of flour, stir until smooth. Analyse for 15 minutes.
3. Add yogurt, egg, oil and salt, beat until smooth.
4. Add the rest of flour, onion and rosemary. Beat until the dough forms into a ball.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and ferment for an hour or until doubled in size.
6. Punch the dough down and knead lightly. Cut into 4 equal portions and roll into balls.
7. Proof until doubled in size, then pat into flat circles about 1/4" thick.
8. Bake at 475 degrees F for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.