Traditionally, Med Kanoon is a mixture of mung bean or taro, sweetened flaked coconut, coconut milk and sugar. Roll into jackfruit seed shape, dip in egg yolk and boil in jasmine syrup. However, I feel like having black bean instead of mung bean today. So here it goes, the recipe of Jackfruit seed in syrup or Med Kanoon in Thai.
- 1 cup sweetened black bean paste
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 ts. jasmine extract
1. Cook the paste, coconut and coconut milk together on low heat until the mixture becomes thickened. Remove from the heat, let it cool then roll into jackfruit seed shape. Set aside.
2. Cook sugar and water until the sugar has dissolved, add jasmine extract. Turn off the heat.
3. Dip Med Kanoon into egg yolk and transfer to the syrup.
4. Turn on the heat, cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
5. Remove from the syrup, let them cool at room temperature.