Baklava is a dessert that made of phyllo dough, filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup. I added some slice bananas into the layers to make it more interesting in texture and flavor. I also use a muffin pan to bake my baklava, so it came out as an individual portion. Mark told me it was the best dessert he ever had when he first tried it long time ago.
for the pastry
- 5 sheets phyllo dough, cut into round shape
- 2 tbsp. salted butter, melted
- 1 bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup walnut, chopped
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
for the syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- pinch of ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make the syrup; bring all ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat.
2. Combine walnut, sugar, cinnamon and clove together. Set aside.
3. Brush the bottom of muffin pan with the melted butter.
4. Lay a cut sheet of phyllo into the bottom of the mold and brush with melted butter. Repeat 5 more times to create the base.
5. Sprinkle some walnut mixture over the base, place sliced bananas on top and cover with more walnut mixture.
6. Lay 3 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each one with melted butter.
7. Repeat the walnut mixture with sliced bananas, then finish with 6 layers of phyllo.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Pour some syrup over hot baklava and let it cool at room temperature before refrigerate.