Toffee cake was one of my to bake list, but for some reason I never made it. I wasn't in my routine mode yet, so I wanted to make something to get myself back to normal. Toffee cake was the one to start with.
Yesterday, I got back to work and I felt like it was my first day of working here. Everything seemed out of place and my brain didn't seem to work properly. I'll need a few days to feel comfortable though.
Back to the toffee cake, I used Toffee-ettes from See's candies to make this cake. I also add this over the cake for the Easter idea. There are many different types of chocolate candies and Easter Candies available that you can use for baking--check them out!
for the cake
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbs. instant coffee
- 1 1/2 tbs. cocoa powder
- 1/2 ts. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 pieces See's toffee-ettes, chopped
for the topping
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbs. milk
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tbs. all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 pieces See's toffee-ettes, chopped
1. Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Whip eggs and sugar until ribbon stage.
3. Fold in dry mixture.
4. Fold in melted butter.
5. Pour into prepared molds and pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
7. Unmold and let them cool completely.
8. Adjust the oven to 400 degrees F.
9. To make the topping ; bring butter, milk and sugar to a boil. Whisk in flour, add nut and toffee-ettes.
10. Spread the topping over the cake and bake for 5 minutes.