bite size beignets...
Beignet is a fried yeast dough that come in square or ball shape. It is similar to a doughnut, but a bit lighter in texture.
- 120 g bread flour
- 1 g baking powder
- 6 g instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 10 g sugar
- 2 g salt
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 g vanilla extract
- 40 g milk, warm to 110F
- 25 g shortening
1. Mix flour, baking powder and yeast in a mixer bowl.
2. Whisk egg, sugar, salt, lemon zest and vanilla together in a bowl.
3. Pour the egg mixture into dry ingredients, mix well with dough hook.
4. Add warm milk, then shortening, mix until the dough comes together to a ball
5. Remove the dough from the mixer and turn out onto greased surface, cover with plastic wrap and rest for 15 minutes.
6. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2" thickness.
7. Using 1-1/4" circle cookie cutter, cut into circles.
8. Proof for 30 minutes or until double in size.
9. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F, fry the beignets until golden brown on both sides.
10. Remove from the oil, then coat with sugar mixture (sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg).