- 4 oz. egg whites
- 8 oz. sugar
- 1 lb.unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Whisk egg whites with sugar over a bain-marie to 140F.
2. Using a mixer with wire whip, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed until doubled in volume.
3. Remove the wire whip and attach the paddle. Gradually add butter one piece at a time.
4. Continue beating until the mixture begins to look light and fluffy. Add the flavoring and beat on low speed for 45 second, then on medium-high speed for one minute.
- 1 lb. unsalted buttercream, room temperature
- 8 oz. solid vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 lb. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. meringue powder
- 4 oz. milk
1. Cream butter and shortening with a paddle for 3 minutes on medium-high speed.
2. Add flavor and salt and mix until combined. Stop and crape bowl.
3. Gradually add sugar, then meringue powder. The mixture will look dry.
4. Add milk and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.