bbq chicken pizza...
Talking about pizza, I prefer deep dish over thin crust. So whenever I make pizza, I use focaccia dough as a base. The texture is similar to a pizza dough, but it's more spongy and flaky.
(adapted from King Arthur)
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tbs. yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. canola oil
- 2 tbs. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbs. lukewarm water
For the filling
- 1/4 cup spicy bbq sauce
- 6 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tbs. shredded gouda cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, cut into small cubes and coat with 1 tbs spicy bbq sauce
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tbs. green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) Hunts whole peeled tomato, drained
- 2 tbs. bacon bits
- 1 tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
1. To make the dough: Mix all ingredients together in a standard mixer on low speed. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise for an hour.
2. Strength the dough into a circle on a lightly oiled cast iron skillet, let it rest for 15 minutes.
3. Spread the sauce over the dough, then cover with sliced mozzarella. Spread chicken evenly over cheese. Top with red onion, green pepper, tomato, bacon and gouda cheese.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and cook for 20 more minutes.
5. When pizza is cooked, remove it from the oven and sprinkle with cilantro.