leftovers never tasted this good...
Happy (belated) Turkey Day, everyone. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The hub and I had a great time hosting friends for dinner this year. He was in charge of turkey, I made all the side dishes, corn bread stuffing and pie. Here's the menu last night, and the recipes for the two side dishes that I want to share with you.
- Roasted herbs whole turkey
- Roasted brussels sprouts with bacon
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Apple-cranberry corn bread stuffing
- Cabernet cranberry-kumquat sauce
- Brulee pumpkin-maple pie
Garlic mashed potatoes
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 lbs sweet potatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups half & half
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Wrap potatoes with foil, and bake at 400 degrees for an hour or until they are tender.
2. When potatoes are ready. Bring the rest of ingredients to a simmer in a medium pot over medium heat.
3. Lower the heat. Working over the pot, peel the potatoes and put into a ricer. Pass potatoes through the holes into the pot.
4. Add Parmesan and mix with wooden spoon until combine.
Cabernet cranberry-kumquat sauce
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh kumquats, sliced
- 1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium pot over medium heat.
2. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Let cool.