makes 20 (1 oz. size)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. liquid red food coloring
- 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8" round pan. Sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract.
3. Mix buttermilk with red color. Then alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the batter, mixing well in between.
4. Mix vinegar and baking soda together, add to the batter.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack.
Note: Add 3 oz. cream cheese frosting to the crumbled cake to make 20 cake pops. Use 12 oz. melt candy to make 20 cake pops.