Happy National Ice Cream Day!
Since It's a national ice cream day, I want to share with you a homemade coconut ice cream recipe. I used coconut puree, but you can also use coconut milk.
Inspire by fried banana ice cream (a Thai dessert) that you see in Thai restaurants, I pair this coconut ice cream with pan-fried sweet plantains.
makes 2 pints
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut puree, room temp
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Make creme anglaise : In a medium pot over medium heat, bring half and half to a boil. Whisk yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the hot cream. Add the yolk mixture back to the pot. Bring the mixture back to 165 degrees over medium heat.
3. Strain the custard over an ice-bath. Immediately whisk in the rest of ingredients. Let cool completely in an ice-bath.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Transfer to an ice cream maker, churn for 15-20 minutes.
6. Pour into containers and freeze.