Galette des Rois, one of my favorite French pastries. It is made of two puff pastry sheets and filled with frangipane.
- 2 sheets puff pastry,
- 1 cup almond flour or almond meal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp. Disaronno Amaretto or Rum (optional)
1. Roll out puff pastry, cut into 9" round.
2. Combine the rest of ingredients in a food processor until it comes to a smooth paste. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Spread the filling onto the first sheet, then cover with the second sheet. Seal them together with water.
4. Brush the top with egg wash (a mix of 1 yolk and 1 tsp. heavy cream or milk), careful not to go on the sides.
5. With the point of a knife, make any kind of design on top.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.